July 27, 2015

amor

YA GRRRL WENT TO MEXICO
It was different than a vacation though, it was something worth more.

When my mom first told me that she was going to volunteer at amor ministries in Mexico, with my aunt, I didn't want to go. It was out of my comfort zone and I didn't want to visit that place. I didn't know what it was going to be like and I didn't want to learn. I didn't realize the impact I was going to make on the people I was going to encounter with so I didn't care.
After realizing I wasn't going to do anything this summer that would look good on a college resume, I asked my mom if she could sign me up on the trip. It was a decision based purely on selfishness because I knew I was about to get a lot of volunteer hours. But I also decided to go because I'm always feeling like I'm not doing anything with my life. For myself, or others. All I ever really do is complain that my instagram feed doesn't match and sleep through most of the day. I wanted that to change and I wanted to make my mom proud plus think about all of the tacos.

Before the trip I didn't think about what was going to happen. I figured going in with no expectations at all would be best. There would be no room for disappointment. All I knew that we were going to somehow help build a house for a Mexican family who was in need and use the house as a tool to share God's love for them with out it seeming like it was being shoved down their throat. We were going to share the only hope that is in the world and help keep families together. 
So, last Sunday we drove down to the amor headquarters in San Diego to meet up with someone who was going to drive us down to the border. That's also where we found out we were going to wake up at 4 am every morning to work in the kitchen in order to make breakfast for everyone. I was like uhhh....... gtgtgtgtg. I mean 
#1. getting up before 11 in the summer: no. 
and #2. me in a hair net: never.

I was like whatever though, I came to serve and I was going to try my best to not complain. too much. We got to Mexico pretty late that night and that was actually a good thing because we got to sleep in an actual room and was told we would be able to use a real restroom with indoor plumbing. Goodbye portapotties and bucket showers #blessed. Monday morning we did set up a tent and slept outside though and that also wasn't too bad.
The camp was at a place that used to be a ranch with beautiful sunrises and sunsets. It was in between hills or mountains or probably both, and campers came from around the world. Some were from just outside the border like San Diego and LA, while others were all the way from the UK. A few came for the 3 days trip, while others stayed for a week. The Mexican staff that works in the kitchen switch off with each other every few days, and while they are there they are given clothes, food, a room to stay in and running water. So it may be better than their conditions at home but who really knows. And I think the other men who work there as guards, or just doing other labor, come early in the morning and leave in the night.

We basically worked as the backbone of the camp, making and serving breakfast, dinner, and dessert for the campers, who would actually go out and build the houses. Don't worry they got lunch too, we would set up tables so they were able to make their own sandwiches to take with them. We got the chance to help the Mexican staff out there who basically work to get the whole camp running. They do a lot for everyone there and we brought joy, life, and friendship to the cooks in the kitchen, who might not get that all of the time because of the fact they speak a different language. We don't speak much spanish either, but the thing is we tried. We tried to communicate and that's why we were able to. I'm not completely sure, but I feel like they don't get to communicate with the campers or the American staff much because of the language barrier. They probably just get a hello, good morning, and a thank you. And sure those are great things to hear, but we were able to bring a lot more by encouraging them and reminding them of the great work they are doing at the camp, and they were thankful for that.
Not only did we cook, but we also helped with some of the labor work that was being done. One day we had to help unload a big truck into their storage. Another day we helped build a huge tent that would provide a place for the campers to eat their meals. When not helping with la cocina, we worked in the amor store which was a little giftshop. In between we got a lot of down time to rest up and throw ourselves outside our tent in hopes of finding shade in the horrible heat, while snacking on mexican coke, aka real coke, chips, and churros. 
Overall it was a great experience to know that I was able to be apart of something so much bigger. Even though I didn't directly see a change in the families we were helping we the houses. I'm glad I went. I wish I was able to fully put into words how it was, but after hibernating for two days to catch up on all of the sleep I was missing, it is kinda hard. I know I'm a mess. But, not only did I enjoy serving, laughing with the new friends we made in the kitchen, and making homemade tortillas, I realized that I have so much to be grateful for. Like sometimes we forget and get caught up in just wanting more, but this was a good reality check. I mean like one of the families that they were building a house for lost their's when it burned down in April. APRIL!!!! It's now the ending of July. And I'm over here complaining about America, because of the mess that it has been lately, on my macbook with a roof over my head and the ac on full blast while using my iPhone trying to choose what filter to use. 

Who knows maybe I'll go again, maybe not, maybe this will lead to other things but for now
 do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly

XOXO

19 comments :

  1. wooow,see I´m the same as you before that, I would never want to do that.I´m very impressed that you made such a great experience and I overcame your fears! Great and inspring post, dear! Love the style of the photos too! xo

    dresses-and-travels //@susandollparts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh, thank you it really means a lot! its always good to get out there and try something that you never thought you would!

      Delete
  2. These photos are amazing! Yes to going out of your comfort zone!!! x

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are so pretty <3

    www.eatlovemerry.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post!
    check out my blog + follow back?

    xo,
    Jess | wildvagabondss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. the photos look incred, you must be so pleased you decided to do it though! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems like a incredible experience and I kind of envy you. This type of volunteer work is not quite a viable option for me since we need a lot of help in my country. I used to volunteer at a thrift store in benefit of an organization which gave school for little kids, but it didn't felt as good as you describe. I guess it was because I didn't work directly with the kids and see the actual product. It was an ok experience (and I also could find cute thrifted things for myself). Lovely photos by the way!

    http://n0blelandmermaid.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg no!!! never sell yourself short!! I'm sure the kids really did appreciate your work. even if you didn't see the work being made directly, you were making a change in your community. always remember that!!

      Delete
  7. your photography is on point, so gorgeous!! wow, it looks amazing there.

    hannie,
    huemorist

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I'm so happy for you that you found something special in your volunteer work here.What an experience! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
    - Madeleine

    lovehearteyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was all really great, thank you for being interested in it!

      Delete
  9. This sounds so amazing like I bet it was worth it despite getting up at 4 haha, also these photos look so gorg xo
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like an amazing experience, although working in the kitchen all day must be EXHAUSTING. Good for you though!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh believe me, there was lots of down time to tan though!

      Delete